Thursday, October 14, 2010

but I do love David

David Sedaris. He’s #25 on the list of “Stuff White People Like.” The list is a magnificently accurate take on what “the white, hip folk” deem trendy, hilarious, and ironic (See stuffwhitepeoplelike.com). I characterize myself as neither trendy nor hilarious (self-deprecation should definitely make the cut, by the way), but I do love David.

Anyway, Sedaris once said, “He looked as though his life had not only passed him by but paused along the way to spit in his face.”

At the ripe ol’ age of 25, I find myself fearing this—both the passing of my life and the spitting in my face. I reminisce the days of puff painted shirts, pep ralleys, and everlasting summers. I pause to think about my failed romances, plausible careers gone awry, and other cosmic blips. It’s my life. I am in control I think, though the older I get, a future of “the original” and a path “not taken” mutter in a now distant past.

I never wanted to be a teacher. When I was ten, I wanted to be a surgeon. At 15, I wanted to be a professional runner. By the time I was 18, I still wanted to be a professional runner. When I was 21, I wanted to be a professor. When I was 23, I was destined to be a professional vagabond. And a writer. A travel writer.

At 25, I am a teacher.

I watch Grey’s for my bloody fix; I hobble a few miles to make sure I still know how to run; I still dream of being a professor; and my vagabonding days have come to a seismic close.

Here I am, talking to you on a very beaten path. I’ll share with you my minor and major struggles and triumphs, many of which you, too, will share. May life neither pass us by nor spit in out faces. Badabam. Let’s begin.

5 comments:

  1. You've GOT to keep this blog going, "teach!" I see a gift here. And, I predict that you will be an EXCELLENT teacher! Maybe you'll even go on to be a professor one day. Or not! I bet your students won't allow you to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWww thanks, Linds!! Excited to enter the world of the bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. But, aren't you only 25? The beginning of your journey. A bright future. About reading blogs: Sedaris also wrote, "If you read someone else's diary, you get what you deserve."
    I really like your first entry. Will you keep reminding me?

    While you're here, maybe you would like to check out my totally outdated anti-war/Bush blog?


    http://terryertzimportexport.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry- yes, I'll absolutely follow your blog (anti-war and Bush = two of my favs). As for my journey- oh man, it's only just begun! However, at a certain point, I think we all create a path that we are more than likely to follow with a sense of diligence, routine, and comfort. The onetime possible paths begin to fade. Not bad. Just a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Mary, happy to be a follower. I so enjoy the enthusiasm and cynicism of new teachers. You are going to be a great one and will indeed be a professor one day if that is your wish!

    ReplyDelete